Krynn's Time of Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Krynn's Time of Dragons

Krynn's Time of Dragons is a Neverwinter Nights Free Multi-player RPG.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Module: Crafting

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kiri-Jolith
Webmaster
Webmaster
Kiri-Jolith

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Module: Crafting Empty
PostSubject: Module: Crafting   Module: Crafting I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 12:24 am

The crafting system for Legends of Krynn uses a combination of skills, feats, materials, recipes, and crafting facilities for its crafting system.

While I was aiming for a true Pen and Paper experience, much like the PRC team has done in their crafting system, PnP Dungeons & Dragons only uses feats for crafting, and that is strictly for Magical items, i.e: Enchanting. That's a good method when having a single group of players, all playing at the same time, and ending their play at the same time. On a limited ammount of time basis (maybe 4-8 hours, once or twice a week), this is fine as there's not much to gathering materials, recipes, going to the forge to make Item X, etc. in a table top game. The same reasons apply in a single player Neverwinter Nights module. It makes the most sense in these cases. It's just a waste of time in these cases.

Unfortunately, that is not a practical approach for a 24/7 role-play peristent world, as there would simply be 100% availability of any non-magical item, at any time, in any location no matter what the conditions. There would be no sort of global/player economy whatsoever, nor would there be a reason to interact and RP among players to secure the goods & materials needed for their respective crafting professions. It would also limit the ammount of variety and realism added to an RP module, and keep play in a hak-n-slash/treasure hunting/leveling up 20 characaters/stand around looking for something to do "syndrome" that plagues alot of servers.

Based on the success and favor shown towards crafting systems in RP modules, I've tried using as much PnP as is practical while keeping in mind the system is for a PW. It's my best solution, utilizing my experience as a PnP DM & Player and a NWN server Administrator/DM/Builder, for a crafting system that is enjoyable and worthwhile.
Back to top Go down
Kiri-Jolith
Webmaster
Webmaster
Kiri-Jolith

PostSubject: Re: Module: Crafting   Module: Crafting I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 6:59 pm

Crafting Skill

Craft - A check is made versus the DC of the item, based on it's gp value, when creating, modifying, or deconstructing an. item. Failure by 5 or more results in ruining all materials used. It also determines how long it takes in-game to create an item. Moving too far from the crafting station(anvil, loom, alchemy table), transitioning areas, performing a rest action, or doing anything more strenuous than walking or talking, will result in a failed attempt.

This is a class skill for all classes.

Note: When breaking down magical items without the corresponding Enchanting feat, based on type, a failure of 10 or more will result in a retributive strike. This only affects items whose gp level is 18 or more. Otherwise breaking down magical items simply destroys the enchantments.

Crafting
Craft Armor, Craft Weapon, and Craft Mundane display the current maximum level of the recipe you may learn. These aren't actually skills, but just a visual display using skills as placeholders.

Survey - Used when determining the quanity of materials harvested from animals, plants, and mineral deposit. Also determines maximum rarity class of material that can be harvested.

These are only increased mainly by performing crafting/harvesting actions, though there are certain events/items/spells/etc. that will increase them, be it temporarily or permanently.

Recipes
Recipes can be found, learned from npcs, or recieved as quest rewards.
Recipes are seperated by difficulty of production and item power. The equation is based on, the higher the end gp value, the higher the items level.

i.e: A level 1 item would be an oak weapon handle, whereas a level 3 item would be a non-masterwork longsword or a torch. A suit of full plate would be a level 10 item, whereas a mithril ring, inlaid with 2 rubys, a diamond, and 2 pearls would be a level 18 item.

Enchanting Feats
Craft Rod - Allows activatable abilities to be placed on a rod.
Craft Staff - Allows activatable abilities and spells to be placed on a staff.
Craft Wand - Allows spells to be stored on wands.
Craft Magic Arms and Armor - Allows enhancement of arms and armor.
Craft Wondrous Item - Allows activatable abilities, spells, and enhancements to be added to non-rod/staff/wand/armor/weapon items. Also allows the creation of magical golems.

When enchanting, the spell or ability being added to an item must be followed by the spell Pemanency, to become permanent.

Crafting Feats
Brew Potion - Allows the creation of magical and non-magical potions, poisons, and other alchemics.
Engineering - Allows the use and creation of seige engines, as well as other mechanical devices.
Scribe Scroll - Allows the creation of magical scrolls. Required in conjunction with Craft Wondrous Items for the creation of Rune Stones.

Last edited by Kiri-Jolith on Sun May 10, 2009 11:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kiri-Jolith
Webmaster
Webmaster
Kiri-Jolith

PostSubject: Re: Module: Crafting   Module: Crafting I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 1:24 am

Materials = Raw, unrefined items. Plants, Wood, Ore, Un-cut Gems, etc.
Components = Crafed object made from 1 or more material(s).
Product = Crafted object made from 1 or more component(s).

Melee/Non-Staff Weapon:
Blade, Haft/Crossgaurd, Handle/Grip.

Staff Weapon:
Shaft, End Caps.

Bows & Cross-Bows:
Bow, String, Bindings

Projectiles:
Shuriken - Blade
Bolt = Shaft, Arrow Head, Fletching
Arrow = Shaft, Arrow Head, Fletching
Bullet - Any metal/stone.

Armor:
Padding, Sheilding, Fastenings

Sheilds:
Plating, Reinforcing, Gripping

Clothing(Cloaks & Robes):
Cloth Bolt, Thread

Boots, Belts, & Gloves:
Leather, Thread

Bracers:
Leather, Thread, Plating

Jewelry:
Metals & Gems

Alchemy:
Reagent(s), Catalyst(s), Suspension(s)

Other:
Varies.
i.e:
Torch = Wooden Handle + Cloth Scraps + Oil
Steel Door Spike = Metal Bar
Grappling Hook = Metal Bar
Rope = Cloth Scraps

Engineering is going to be the most complicated crafting category, but it is also the most useful, imo.

Last edited by Kiri-Jolith on Mon May 11, 2009 2:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kiri-Jolith
Webmaster
Webmaster
Kiri-Jolith

PostSubject: Re: Module: Crafting   Module: Crafting I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 1:28 pm

To give an example:

Melee-Weapon/Non-Staff:
Base Recipe - Blade, Crossgaurd/Haft, & Handle/Grip.

ex1:
Bronze Blade = +1 dmg. (From bronze base metal.)
Copper Crossgaurd = -5% Decreased Value. (Cheap base metal)
Leather Wrapped Oak Grip = +1 Discipline, +1 to Hit. (Inherent from base materials)
Craft Check DC: 10

ex2:
Steel Blade = + 5 dmg. (From base metal.)
Jeweled Gold Crossgaurd = +10% Value Increase, Can be enchanted up to level 4 spells. (Jeweled Crossgaurd is a Masterwork Item that can also be made using enchanted gems.)
Mythril Handgrip = 10% Weight Reduction, +2 Parry. (Valuable & Light Metal)
Craft Check DC: 25

Any-Armor
Base Recipe - Padding, Sheilding, & Fastenings.

ex1(light armor):
Wool Armor Pads = 5% Weight Increase, -10% Value Decrease. (Heavy Material, Cheaply Made)
Light Animal Leather Sheilding = 5/+1 Damage Reduction. (Common Animal Hide)
Cotton Cord Fastening = +1 Durability.

ex2(light armor):
Silk Armor Padding = 10% Weight Decrease, +15 Value Increase(Light & Rare Material)
Light Blue Dragon Leather Shielding = 10/+3 Damage Reduction & 5% Damage Immunity: Lightning.
Mythril Buckles = +8 Durability.

ex1(full plate):
Wool Armor Pads = 5% Weight Increase, -10% Value Decrease. (Heavy Material, Cheaply Made)
Bronze Armor Plating = 10/+1 Damage Reduction, 10% Immunity to Peircing & Slashing.(Damage reduciton from plating quality, immunity from being full plate.)
Animal Leather Straps = +3 Durability

ex2(full plate):
Cotton Armor Pads = No Wieght Modification, No Value Modification. (Standard Quality Items)
Steel Armor Plating = 10/+3 Damage Reduction, 10% Immunity to Peircing & Slashing. (Damage reduciton from plating quality, immunity from being full plate.)
Mythril Buckles = +8 Durability.

Any basic blacksmith will know how to put armor or weapons together, but only an expert would be able to make a Jeweled Crossgaurd, Mythril Buckles, etc. This is where the recipe level comes in. The Craft check DC increase is due to more value components being used, thereby being harder to assemble.

Last edited by Kiri-Jolith on Mon May 11, 2009 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kiri-Jolith
Webmaster
Webmaster
Kiri-Jolith

PostSubject: Re: Module: Crafting   Module: Crafting I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 1:52 pm

Free Form Alchemy, Sorta.

Reagent(s), Catalyst(s), Suspension(s)
Reagents are the active property. (Healing, Buff, Poison, Fire, Lightning, etc.)
Catalyst determine what happens with active property.(Protection, Offensive, Utility, etc.)
Suspensions dictate how the substance is consumed. (Applied to Body/Item, Grenade, Swallowed, etc.)

ex1:
Reagent - Firebloom Extract(+1 Fire)
Catalyst - Iron Weed Purification(Protection, Level 1)
Suspension - Grape Seed Oil (Target - Any Non-Weapon External)

End Result would be an Oil, when applied to target will grant 5% Fire Immunity for 1 hour. Any-External means it could be used to coat armor, skin, helm, clothing, etc.

ex1a:
Reagents - Firebloom Extract x 4(+4 Fire)
Catalyst - Night Bane Powder(Protect, Level 5)
Suspension - Grape Seed Oil (Target - Any Non-Weapon External)

Same effect as above, except it would grant 20% Fire Immunity for 5 hours, due to the increase in reagents used, and a better catalyst being used.

ex2:
Reagent - Firebloom Extract(+1 Fire)
Catalyst - Powdered Sulfer(Offensive, Level 1)
Suspension - Lamp Oil (Target - Weapon or Grenade)

End Result would be an Oil, when applied to weapon it would grant +1 Fire Damage, or when used as a grenade, would inflict 1d4 Fire damage within its spread.

ex2a:
Reagents - Firebloom Extract x 4(+4 Fire)
Catalyst - Purified Sulfer(Offensive, Level 5)
Suspension - Lamp Oil (Target - Weapon or Grenade)

End result would be same as above, but +4 Fire damage to a weapon, or 2d6 Fire Damage within spread, due to more Reagent being used, and a better Catalyst.

Modifying Reagents will determine what the products property is.
Modifying Catalyst will determine what the product does with its property.
Modify the Suspension will determine how long the product does what it does.
Back to top Go down
Kiri-Jolith
Webmaster
Webmaster
Kiri-Jolith

PostSubject: Re: Module: Crafting   Module: Crafting I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 1:55 pm

These are all -very- basic examples, but I wanted to show how it's not so much about the variety of recipe, but about the materials used. So even if you only know 1 recipe, you are still capable of making 3-4 varieties of that item.

Recipes essentially control how many materials can be used to create a component, and what components you are proficient at creating.

i.e:
Basic Longsword(Level 3 Recipe) = 1 Blade, 1 Crossgaurd, 1 Handle.
Masterwork Longsword = Created when making a lonsword & beating the Craft check by 15 or more.

A metal crossgaurd(Level 5 Recipe) = 2 metal bars.
A jeweled crossgaurd(Level 18 Recipe) = 3 metal bars, 4 jewels.

Normal Metal Plating(Level 5 Recipe) = 5 Metal Bars, can use copper, tin, bronze, gold, etc.
Exoctic Metal Plating(Level 18 Recipe) = 10 Metal Bars, can use steel, mythril, adamantine, etc.

Basic Offensive Alchemic(Level 5 Recipe) = 1 Reagent, 1 Offensive Catalyst, 1 Suspension
Complex Offensive Alchemic(Level 18 Recipe) = 5 Reagents, 3 Offensive Catalysts, 2 Suspensions

Basic Defensive Alchemic(Level 5 Recipe) = 1 Reagent, 1 Defensive Catalyst, 1 Suspension
Complex Defensive Alchemic(Level 19 Recipe) = 5 Reagents, 3 Defensive Catalysts, 2 Suspensions

I know it seems like alot to take in and process, but once you see it in-game, it's rediculously easy. I mostly needed to see what you guys thought, and have a place to post the specifics as it makes scripting easier for me if I don't have to do it from memory.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Module: Crafting   Module: Crafting I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Module: Crafting
Page 1 of 1